Your feet are amazing! Isn’t it wonderful what an incredible job they do every day to get you on your way! So while you may tend to take your feet for granted sometimes while they do all the work of walking, standing, and exercising, here a few things to remind yourself how awesome your feet really are.
Some fun, fantastic foot facts:
- The thickest skin—The skin on the soles of your feet is the thickest anywhere on your body, and the skin in the heel area is very susceptible to becoming cracked and possibly infected.
- The world’s largest feet—The biggest feet ever recorded belong to a Venezuelan man named J. Hernandez, and are a size 26! That’s sixteen inches long!
- Amazing engineering—With over 100 muscles, tendons, and ligaments, 26 bones, and 33 joints, your feet are a marvel of design.
- Toenail growth rate—Oddly enough, your toenails grow at a much slower rate than your fingernails. Toenails grown about 1/16th of an inch per month whereas fingernails can easily grow three times faster, especially during pregnancy, the teen years, and during the summer months.
- How much force do your feet absorb in a day?—Think of a truckload of stones! We are talking about hundreds of tons of force here on a daily basis! So treat your feet well!
- Why do feet sweat so much?—Your feet were made to support your weight and eliminate stress and pressure, and a lot of that pressure is released by the quarter million sweat glands you have on your feet.
Another fun foot fact to consider is that you probably have a foot problem you are neglecting—75% of people do! So get on board with your foot care professional and take care of your feet.
At Podiatry Center of New Jersey, Dr. Russell Samofal treats a variety of conditions such as sports injuries, diabetic foot problems, pediatric foot conditions, toe deformities, arthritis, nail fungus, arch problems and heel pain. Equipped with advanced technologies and a dedicated staff, Podiatry Center of New Jersey provides individualized high quality care for patients all across Morris, Passaic, Bergen and Essex counties. For all your foot and ankle problems, contact our Wayne office at (973) 925-4111 for an appointment.