The feet and ankles are body parts that we use every single day, whether we are walking, exercising, or standing for long hours. Our feet, made up of 26 bones, 33 joints, and over 100 muscles, ligaments, and tendons, have the important role of supporting our entire body weight and helping us balance. It is not surprising then that most people experience some type of foot or ankle discomfort in their lifetime. Unfortunately, despite having pain or discomfort, many people do not seek the help of foot care specialists because they believe it is not serious. However, many podiatric issues can be indicative of more serious health issues and can lead to chronic problems. It is important to see a podiatrist who can provide proper diagnoses and treatments to help achieve a healthier, pain-free lifestyle.
Here are 8 reasons to see a podiatrist:
- Pain that does not subside even after rest, icing, and taking anti-inflammatory medication.
- Changes in color of your toenails or skin, which could be indicative of a fungal infection.
- Wounds/sores that do not heal quickly.
- If you are diabetic. Diabetics are prone to foot ulcers and peripheral neuropathy that could be exacerbated without proper care.
- Bunions or other toe deformities since they can progress to conditions that require surgery.
- Warts, calluses, corns, or any other skin abnormality. It is always better to have a professional give you proper advice and treatment than to try home remedies.
- Numbness or swelling in your feet, which could be caused by several different conditions.
- Senior citizens – Older patients should be seen regularly to prevent serious health issues, as well as to maintain healthy feet.
Fortunately at Podiatry Center of New Jersey, which serves the Wayne area, we have the expertise of board-certified podiatrist, Dr. Russell Samofal, to treat all types of surgical and non-surgical podiatric issues. If you have any of the above reasons or have any questions, please contact us or call us at (973) 925-4111 to make an appointment at our office in Wayne, NJ!