When you are involved in sports, there is always risk for injury. We at Podiatry Center of New Jersey see many common injuries such as ankle sprains and fractures, Achilles tendinitis, shin splints, and plantar fasciitis. Even though preventing all injuries is not possible, there are many ways to ensure you minimize the chances.
- Warm up before exercise. Warming up your muscles with light cardio and stretching is important to prevent sudden strain and injury. Learn some stretching exercises here.
- Wear proper athletic shoes. Many injuries can be prevented by wearing shoes that provide ample heel and arch support and shock absorption. Each sport has unique footwear needs so make sure you are buying the appropriate shoes for the sport you are participating in.
- Use custom orthotics. If you have flat feet, bunions, or high arches, prevent potential problems by getting shoe inserts created specific to your foot shape and function.
- Gradually increase exercise. Your muscles require time to strengthen so doing regular exercise as consistently as possible is better than doing intense exercise sporadically. If you are increasing your training, do so in no more than 10% increments.
- Cool down after activity. Cooling down after activity is vital in helping muscles recover.
- Stop if you feel discomfort. If you feel pain or discomfort, your body is telling you there is something wrong. Always see a podiatrist to diagnose and treat the problems before symptoms worsen.
Even when you follow these precautions, accidents can occur and result in injury. In order to prevent recurring problems like ankle sprains, see an experienced and trusted foot care specialist like Dr. Russell Samofal. Dr. Samofal, a board-certified podiatrist at Podiatry Center of New Jersey, treats all kinds of foot and ankle problems and specializes in reconstructive foot and ankle surgery. Our office, located in Wayne, NJ, serves Morris, Passaic, Bergen and Essex counties and is equipped with modern technologies to help treat your problems! Contact us or call us at (973) 925-4111 to schedule an appointment today!