It is that time of year again when summer is winding down and parents and students are preparing for the new school year to begin. There are many back to school sales that go on, so it is a perfect time to buy a new pair of shoes! However, it is important to know what kind of shoes to buy and to choose comfort over looks.
It can be overwhelming when you enter a shoe store, so keep the following guidelines in mind:
- Go to the store later in the day when feet tend to be more swollen
- Since feet can be different sizes, choose a shoe based on your bigger foot
- Bring socks that would normally be worn with shoes
- Shoes should have a sturdy, durable sole and a breathable upper material
- The toe box should be wide enough so that toes are not squeezed
- Soles should have treads to avoid slipping
- Insoles should provide ample support and shock absorption
- Heels should not slip out while walking
- The tips of the shoes should be a thumb’s width from the longest toe
- Shoes should be comfortable from the start
Following these guidelines can help not only choose a comfortable shoe but also help prevent common foot and ankle problems like ankle sprains, toe deformities, heel pain, arch problems, Achilles tendinitis, plantar fasciitis, blisters and corns. An additional way to ensure the best fit is to use custom orthotics inside of your shoes so that any problems with foot mechanics, such as flat foot, can be corrected.
If you develop any of the above podiatric issues, it is important to consult with a podiatrist who can diagnose and treat your condition. Dr. Russell Samofal of Podiatry Center of New Jersey, located in Wayne, NJ, treats all kinds of foot and ankle issues and also performs surgical procedures. Whether you are looking to create custom orthotics or need reconstructive surgery, an experienced and respected podiatrist like Dr. Samofal is your best option for high quality care. To schedule an appointment, please contact us or call (973) 925-4111 today!