Hammertoes and bunions are common, yet it is also surprisingly common for patients to not know what those terms refer to until they experience the problem themselves.
Fear not, weary wanderers! Podiatry Center of New Jersey will equip you with the knowledge and preventative measures to keep your feet happy, healthy, and hammertoe-free. We’ll clue you in on how to beat bunions, too.
Hammertoes: Bent Out of Shape
- Imagine your toes transformed into hammers, the middle joints defying gravity.
- That’s the essence of hammertoes, a condition that can strike any toe but has a particular fondness for the second and third.
- Tight shoes, arthritis, diabetes, and even nerve damage can be the culprits behind this frustrating bend.
Bunions: Bumpy Big Toe Blues
- A bony bump erupting like a mini Mount Vesuvius on the side of your big toe? That’s a bunion, a misaligned joint that throws your entire foot’s balance out of whack.
- Narrow or pointed shoes, genetics, and even arthritis can conspire to create this unwelcome protuberance.
Symptoms: What to Watch For
Both hammertoes and bunions have some telltale signs.
- Pain, redness, and swelling all signal that something’s amiss.
- The formation of corns or calluses is a common clue that your feet are less than thrilled.
- Difficulty squeezing into your favorite shoes is another warning from your feet.
Prevention: Outsmarting Foot Foes
Here’s the good news: you can outsmart these problems with some proactive TLC.
- Choose shoes that fit like a dream, with ample room for your toes to wiggle and breathe.
- Ditch the sky-high heels and narrow-toe boxes and embrace comfort over constriction.
- Maintaining a healthy weight can also take the pressure off your precious feet.
- Regular toe stretches, like flexing and pointing, keep your digits limber and happy.
Struggling with these painful deformities? Let us help! At Podiatry Center of New Jersey, our team of doctors treats various conditions such as sports injuries, diabetic foot problems, pediatric foot conditions, toe deformities, arthritis, nail fungus, arch problems, and heel pain. Equipped with advanced technologies and dedicated staff, our 16 conveniently located offices provide individualized high-quality care for patients across Essex, Hudson, Middlesex, Ocean, Passaic, and Union Counties. For all your foot and ankle problems, contact our Wayne, NJ office at (973) 925-4111 for an appointment.