With the NCAA’s March Madness well under way, there is currently a lot of focus on basketball! Many fans not only like to watch the game but also participate in the sport themselves. Like all sports, it is important to have the proper footwear to minimize injuries, so here is a guide to choosing the best basketball shoes!
Basketball is a sport that uses speed and vigorous movement and therefore requires shoes that can withstand the high impact and protect your feet and ankles. Look for shoes with these qualities:
- Durable – A good quality shoe is made from durable materials that can withstand the high impact and last.
- Lightweight – Basketball requires lots of running, jumping, and quick movements, so having a pair of lightweight shoes can minimize the stress on your feet.
- Supportive – Ankle sprains result from rolling over on the ankle, which are extremely common in basketball. Therefore, a shoe that provides excellent support around the ankle area is key.
- Cushioning – Having ample cushioning is important to absorb the shocks from high jumps and running. The shape of your foot and how hard your foot strikes the ground are important factors to consider when choosing the type of cushioning you want.
- Traction – The ability to switch directions quickly without slipping can make a big difference in the game, so be sure to find a shoe with the right amount of grip for you.
With so many options for basketball shoes out there, it can be difficult to know which is best. However, it is important to remember your individual foot shape, needs and skill level when purchasing shoes. Consult with a board-certified podiatrist for help and an accurate foot assessment.
At Podiatry Center of New Jersey, which serves Morris, Passaic, Bergen and Essex counties, podiatrist Dr. Russell Samofal and his friendly staff are committed to providing the highest quality foot and ankle care possible. Dr. Samofal helps patients overcome podiatric issues such as sports injuries, toe deformities, diabetic foot problems, arthritis, and nerve problems. Contact our Wayne office at (973) 925-4111 to schedule an appointment today!